This weekend the International Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame inducted eight new members to its honor roll, and I was thrilled to attend and also be a member of the judging panel. To add to the festivities K2 joined the party in celebration of their 50th Anniversary. In attendance at the event were K2 athletes Wayne Wong and the Mahre brothers. On display were decades of K2 skis and photos that reminded me how far skiing has come, but also making me a little nostalgic for the “good old days” of ISKI sunglasses and headbands. But at least the bota bag is making a comeback.
The 2012 Ski Hall of Fame Inductees:
- Nick Badami* –Owner Alpine Meadows, Park City
- Mason Beekley*–Ski historian and founder of ISHA and the great ski publication Skiing Heritage.
- Dick Dorworth–Ski racer, coach, climber, journalist and author of “The Perfect Turn.”
- Philip Gravink–General Manager and former President of Loon Mountain, Gore Mountain, Peek n Peak.
- Harry Leonard–Ski Show Pioneer
- Joe Pack–Olympic athlete
- Tyler Palmer–Ski racer
- Eva Twardokens–Olympic athlete
Bravo to all the new inductees.
Also, Thursday April 19th is National High Five Day, so get out there and high-five someone.