The Cody St. John Foundation along with the Steamboat Ski & Resort Corporation, Steamboat Ski Patrol and United States Forest Service, will host the 4th annual Cody’s Challenge, a randonee endurance race on Saturday, March 17, 2012.
This is the first year that the event will also feature the “Cody’s Cup” event, which is an inter-mountain challenge between teams of ski patrollers. The cool thing about the race is that, in addition to prizes for any participant, the event raises money to award professional ski patrollers scholarships for continuing medical education. The Cody’s Cup event will give $2,000 to the first-place patrol team and $1,000 to the second-place team, also for medical education.
The background: Cody St. John was a ski patroller at Steamboat, the first-ever and still-only snowboarding patroller of the year (and youngest-ever) honored by Colorado Ski Country USA. He died in an auto accident on his way to begin nursing school at the University of Wyoming. Cody was an organ donor, and numerous individuals’ lives were saved by his donation following his death; 3 of those donors have attended past years’ races.
Full event details:
- Date: St Patrick’s Day, Saturday March 17th
- Time: 8:30am sharp, loading gondola at 8am
- Where: Mt Werner, Steamboat Springs, Colorado
- Registration: http://codyschallenge.TCSJF.org
- URL: www.whatwouldcodydo.net
- Cost: $60
- Sponsors: Honey Stinger, Smartwool, Clif Bar, Camelbak, Timex, Oskar Blues Brewery, Giro, Smith Optics, POC, Red Bull
- A post race luncheon will be held for all racers at T-Bar. Silent Auction and Scholarship Announcement that evening at The Arts Depot, 6pm, in downtown Steamboat Springs. Auction items include all the latest gear, as well as 2 unguided tickets to Silverton Mountain.
For additional information:
Corinne St. John, 443.370.6760